Saturday 15 May 2010

Terns

Each Spring terns are regular off the piers in Sai Kung. How long they will stay this time I can't say but they certainly attract photographers and this morning I noticed a few dipping and skimming amongst the moored boats. I went home to get a 400mm lens and then returned to try and capture some of the Whiskereds and White-winged. The light was, as usual, pretty grey and I was dialing in at least +1 in exposure compensation. Not many came as close as I needed but I took a few shots that although not good are bloggable. These are beautiful birds to watch an d easy to photograph once they come within a reasonable distance (i.e to fill half the frame) . Most people ignore them and probably don't even notice them. One chatty American tourist had seen the White-bellied sea eagles from Yeung Chau but hadn't seen the contrasting brilliance of the White-winged terns. I don't have a decent shot of one in breeding plumage but some in non-breeding plumage are passable. I suspect they will hang around for a while and if I have time I shall try again tomorrow.







No comments: