Friday 21 May 2010

On Sai Kung sea front yesterday most of the restaurants had these horseshoe crabs on "display". They really are amazing looking things. I believe they are Tachypleus tridentatus.



People were fascinated by them and I have to say they remind me of a childhood game called "Magic Robot". Who remembers this?




I had gone down to see if there were any terns still about but I drew blank. I did however see a Black-crowned night heron, the first I have seen here. The light was just amazing - crystal clear. Today, back to normal - very hazy. All I have seen this morning, apart from some butterflies in the garden, is a flock of 30+ egrets flying in the distance. The sun was glinting off them and it was like a moving pattern of frost on the windows. They circled for ages without landing before disappearing out of sight. They cant be far away.

One of our garden plants has been stripped back to the stalks and stems by caterpillars. This seems to annoy Mrs. Ha and the good old gardener has immediately offered to nuke the lot of them. Sensibly I was consulted before death and destruction was let loose on the poor things so they are still there, munching contentedly on what is left. This is clearly their only larval food plant in the garden as all other plants are untouched. I sense the word "organic" is not in the local dictionary.

The pollution in Hong Kong seems to be getting worse rather than better. Yours truly has been diagnosed as asthmatic and it is all down, it seems, to inhaling the local air. I have no choice as far as I know. Not breathing can have dangerous side effects so I have decided that in my next incarnation I shall come back as a horseshoe crab and if anybody asks me a question I shall swing my tail and point to the answer. Just like the magic robot. Happy days.

2 comments:

Tiny said...

The horseshoe crab look more like aliens ... Are you sure they are not aliens pretending to be normal living thing on Earth?

Did you do something to attract the caterpillars to your garden?

I have been suffering from bad allergies this season and my parents have been bugging me. They believe that I would be better off if I move back to HK as I never had allergy problems when I was living in HK. So, I find it interesting to see you writing about the polluted air and breathing problems. Perhaps I am better off breathing in polluted air.

John Holmes said...

Andrew,
"The Magic Robot" - I remember that ! I suppose it was playing Monopoly set you up for a career in finance !
Our former patch of mint has been sustaining something insecty... but the basil is safe, so far.

Tiny, I always get Hay Fever in the UK if I return in May, but it beats the stuff that can get in the air on bad days here. This spring has been pretty good though.