Saturday 27 February 2010

Twitter



As I understand it Twitter is some form of short messaging service to the yoof of today. I have never actually seen a Twitter and today I was reminded that the old forms of twitter are almost certainly better than the new. I refer to the captivating sound of the swallow or as we are encouraged to call dear old hirundo rustica today, Barn swallow. After a week in dreary London, where I saw snow for the first time in years, I returned last night to a rather warm and humid Hong Kong.

(At this point the blog was interrupted for over a week).

The twitterer seems to be taking up residence. The top photo was taken outside our house on the terrace whereas the second was taken inside the garage. There will now be a family "discussion" about whether Barney stays or is evicted PDQ. Its been a wildlife-y sort of week. Wednesday we had a snake alarm. Only the maid saw the snake and she threw stones at it. She was roundly scolded. When I arrived home from work, late as usual, I went out into the garden with a torch but could find no trace. I am not even convinced it was a snake rather than a lizard but I live in hope.

Then the next day I was in a meeting and received an sms - "A swallow is in the kitchen sitting on the range hood". I can deal with things like that. There are 2 options: leave it there or wait for it to fly through the open patio doors. Option 3, cook it, was not voted on.

The garden is looking good. Butterflies are visiting the plants and the lawn is beginning to look like a lawn. I have another daunting week ahead with a day trip to London on Monday. Don't ask why..... but I fly HK-London-Singapore in 40 hours and back to HK Thursday night. Sorry this is brief but tempus fugit. In fact I was sitting next to a gentleman of advancing years at dinner yesterday evening and he told me that his weeks now fly by in a day and his months in a week. A year is but a blink of an eye. I feel the same. There is no benefit wishing our lives away but time seems to do it for us. We had the "how much longer will you carry on working like this?" discussion again last night and I guess the answer is as long as the body hangs in there. It is, I must say, twitter moments that make it all worthwhile.

No comments: