Saturday 3 October 2009

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

As we start to think about moving house I have been wrestling with the fact that I have literally thousands of slides. Unlike jpegs they take up a lot of space and unlike jpegs they are still there when your hard drive crashes. I decided therefore to get out the lightbox and start to do a review of what to keep and what to throw.

Problem 1 was not being able to find the lightbox. So off we toddled and bought a new one. Ooooh. I like Velvia. Is digital really as good as slides? (Discuss). Of course I threw away hundreds of pounds worth of rubbish pictures and digital allows me to buy a flash card and shoot over and over again. Nevertheless I have a sense that my "feel" for exposure was better in the old days and the light seemed clearer and warmer in the pre-digital era. That is either global warming or me getting old or neither.

The slides have brought back wonderful memories and I can remember virtually all of the shots, where I was, whom I was with and what the day was like. And of course now I want a load of them scanned so I can display them on the web. Such presumption! Why should anyone want to look at my pictures? I don't care. I want to see what Photoshop can do versus Velvia.

I suspect it will take months to plough through all of them. This is not a chore but a treasure hunt coupled with a trip down memory lane. I can hear the drone of the Coronation Street theme in the background and picture Ena, Minnie and Martha in the snug as I also look also at some of my father's old slides. Some are almost 50 years old and a kind of heirloom. Great Aunt Kate on the stone beach somewhere in Cardigan, probably Llanrhystud........ straight out of Leica Magazine?

I have been trying to work out how to get the slides scanned. Lots of people offered advice. Buying my own scanner is probably economic but definitely slow. Going to a well known outlet..... quicker and reliable, hopefully. But then Mrs. Ha took me to a small shop in Gilman's Bazaar. Firstly, I had never heard of Gilman's Bazaar. Secondly, it is a very small shop and doesn't seem to sell much if you simply look at the shelves. This is a shop with second hand cameras in the window and lots of rolls of , yes, Velvia, behind the counter. They even had a Leica M3 in the window. No high piles of Canon, Nikon, Olympus, etc but when I enquired, they disappeared into the back and produced a Canon 7D, hot off the production line. So somewhere they probably stock everything. Where, I asked, would they send slides to be scanned? Here, they said. Convert them into 6mb jpegs for HK$10 each. That is the going rate. At this point Mrs. Ha was multiplying the cost of one scan by the number of slides I have and thinking this was more expensive that a trip to Cartier. I promised I would be selective. And so the adventure with the lightbox began. When I get back from Singapore I will go back to Gilman's Bazaar and give them 50 to scan and we shall see what miracles they can work.

You have been warned. You may get to see Great Aunt Kate, on the beach in her world war one army great coat trying to keep out the bitingly cold wind of a Welsh summer. "Laughed? I nearly bought a round " as they say in the Valleys.

8 comments:

Private Beach said...

For a few thousand HK bucks you can get a Nikon slide scanner and a feeder to speed up the process. I know you can rent Nikon lenses in Hk - I wonder if you can also rent a slide scanner?

Andrew said...

Thanks PB. Nikon scanners have been recommended to me. I'm going to have a batch done professionally first and then decide. Its a question of time versus money I guess.

Gweipo said...

When we moved I came across the boxes and boxes of slides we have ... and we still have the projector and screen as well. The kids are intrigued. So I guess one evening we'll have to do the thing and look at slides.
I know I also have tons to throw away!
At least they'll always be able to be seen and screened. Unlike the issues with digital and formats ...

Andrew said...

Gweipo, we also have the projector etc but it rarely sees the light of day. I think your kids would love a magic lantern show!

Private Beach said...

Please do post here when you've had your slides scanned to let us know the quality of the results.

Word verification: "paying". I suppose that means that either way (self-scanned or done by a studio), it will cost you money.

Andrew said...

PB, the first batch is due back tomorrow. Unfortunately I am on a flight to Dubai so won't get to see them until the weekend.

Private Beach said...

Do you happen to have the name of the shop? I'd like to try getting a few of my slides done. Thanks!

Andrew said...

Good World Photo Supplies is the shop in Gilman's Bazaar but Photo & Scientific can do it too. If the slides are mounted don't pay more than HK$10 each. Andrew