Saturday 17 October 2009

Autumnal heat

Even though I knew I was too tired I struggled out of bed this morning and drove to Long Valley. I just needed some bird time and whether it was at LV or Mai Po didn't really matter. I was hoping for a cool morning and clear air. No such luck as once again the temperature headed over 30 degrees Celsius. Carrying the big lens I can manage 2 or 3 hours and then I have to stop. So nothing too exciting today but a cryptic snipe sat tight against the edge of a shallow pool. Usually they take off like a rocket as you approach but not always. If you are slow and quiet and maybe use a bush to break up your outline you can sometimes get close up shots.



The bird below is a Wood sandpiper.I used to get quite excited in Britain when I found a Wood sand' but here they are common enough. This one ignored the panicked departures of its fellows and stood in the middle of a pond in soft morning light, seemingly basking up the warmth and ignoring the tripod and lens pointed directly at it. It is a simple portrait but quite pleasing. I love the marquetry effect of the feathers. They are not as dainty as the Marsh sandpipers but just as stunning in good light.



Finally another simple portrait - of a cattle egret this time. In breeding plumage they sport a warm tobacco colour and I don't know why but I prefer them to the Little egrets. They are slightly bulkier and have a sort of cocky strut that I like. The Little is more refined and a bit of a popinjay with its filaments blowing in a light breeze. The Cattle might be more of a street fighter, oblivious to the Marquis of Queensbury rules. The yellow bill is bulkier, ideal for jabbing someone in the chest. "Now just listen to me.....".



I ended up in a far corner of the valley and lost my bearings slightly but struggled back to the car and gulped down several slugs of water before pootling home for a mid-morning bowl of shredded wheat.Luxury.

2 comments:

ulaca said...

Must make the short trip there in the cooler weather. Where do you park the car?

Andrew said...

Easiest if I send you a map. I am in Dubai at present - remind me if I forget. Easyish to find if you have been there before!