Saturday 24 January 2009

No bugs thanks, we're Bovine.

The year of the Ox in the Lunar calendar is almost upon us so Mrs. Ha and I went to the CNY Fair in Victoria Park. There the mix is flowers and trash. About 50:50. We go to buy blossom, daffs and berries to decorate the house. The prices are down quite markedly on last year, a sure sign of recession. The trash includes just about anything you can imagine to do with The Ox or cows and of course...... giraffes!! Yes, giraffes were everywhere and I know not why. My favourite trash this year was a poster of Wee Donald McTsang with a face full of banana skins. Its a political joke, a touch of satire even. Made me chuckle anyway. Windmills are a symbol of change for the better. I guess the wind blows away all the ills of the old year and blows in good luck for the new year. I have never been quite clear what the strange yellow fruit are that proliferate. Anyway, I hope the wind blows me and all my chums good birds in the Year of the Ox. Gong Hei Fat Choi as we say in the valleys [of Clearwater Bay].




1 comment:

Tiny said...

It's interesting that even though I have lived in HK for so many years, I have never ever been to the CNY Fair in Victoria Park.

Word verification - dicier.