Saturday 22 September 2007

Lumix DMC-FZ18 - short review

This does not feel a very robust camera but you get a lot for your money. It has seemingly endless options to choose from. Although I read that an earlier issue with noise had been dealt with I find the noise levels (noise = graininess for film people)simply unacceptable in poor light at ISO400. I am also disappointed with the RAW mode. I don't seem to get good results but my main camera is a Canon 1D mk III and I'm conscious I'm comparing prices on a ratio of 1:10 ex lens. I bought this to supplement my 1D mk III after I saw the results an elderly Chinese man had got shooting insects in the local nature reserve. The zoom and macro functionality is very good and this is an example of what the Lumix can do in good light (a jpeg) this with a shot coverted from RAW to jpeg using the 1D mk 111 and a 100-400mm IS lens

The camera has had a week-long trip to the Highlands of Malaysia - itself to be blogged - and I can update the comments above. This is indeed a very versatile camera. The 18x zoom is remarkably effective. I find I prefer images with an exposure compensation of EV-1/3 but that may simply be a matter of taste. The battery life isn't great but it just about gets me through a day if I'm not using the review function too much. It is so irritating that nobody yet seems to sell spare batteries for this model. What I loved was the weight - this is so refreshing compared to my usual DSLR. The IA (intelligent auto, designed it is rumoured especially for The Phiz) works well and easily identifies backlit situations.
The camera struggled under poor light and photographing moths on a shiny white wall at night was almost impossible - no flash, massive camera shake; flash, too much reflection on macro shots and I couldn't find a way of reducing the power output. If there is a flash compensation feature it eluded me. I didn't bother with RAW.

All in all this is worth the HK$3800 I paid (list HK$3990 I think) but I wouldn't trust high ISO settings. The 1D mk III is virtually noiseless at ISO1600, the speed the second image was shot at versus ISO 200 on the first.

I would give this 10/10 for value for money but overall maybe 8/10.

4 comments:

FBT said...

I love it when men talk about cameras. As long as they do not expect me to be listening.

Tiny said...

Hehehe. I don't understand too much about the technical stuff but I did read through this entry because I am thinking about getting a new digital camera.

PSYL said...

Hello, I came across this post while searching for birding blogs using this camera. I bought the same one a few weeks ago on sale and have good photos so far. Do you still own this camera?

Otherwise, I like your blog very much and will visit often. Cheers!

Andrew said...

Yes, PSYL, I do still own the camera and use it as a supplementary to my DSLRs. Same as before, for small bugs, scenery grabs if I don't have a "normal" lens for the DSLR. There is a newer model, which I guess is what you have bought but I hear the sensor has the same issue - excessive noise over 100 ISO. This remains a very good camera if you know and can live with its limitations. I know a couple of people who use it and rave about it. If I was rating it today I would give it 9/10 for value of momey and 7/10 for quality but of course comparing it with its peers not the DSLRs out there. I also still use a G9 and like that too. BTW I will take the Lumix to Kenya with me next Sunday so it can't be that bad! Andrew