Wednesday 23 December 2009

Birds galore

The stress of the preparations for the move are beginning to show but each day I spend time at the house waiting for the next delivery / installation chaps (never a chap-ess in sight) to arrive and scan the garden in hope. The list is short but encouraging. Today a Crested goshawk flew past at close quarters (where is the camera when you need it?). A Fork-tailed sunbird was just across the path and a repeat of Monday's Olive-backed pipit flew over. Most pleasing was a Hwamei which is relatively common but I hadn't seen one on my current patch. At the new house one was hopping around on a scrubby tangle of branches in the communal garden. The usual suspects are present and Mrs.Ha found a Tree sparrow inside the dining room yesterday. The new turf had gone down, the doors were open, wall to wall, and Passer montanus clearly felt it was worth exploring. The raptor list is growing as I have also heard Crested serpent eagle calling. When we move in I shall be listening carefully for owls. Whether the plants will bring in any "extra" birds I don't know but at least now we have a bit of variety and colour. Our gardener (doesn't that sound posh!) told us the tree we bought as a Ham Siu is in fact a Ham siu grafted on to a Pak laan or laam trunk, the latter being a much faster grower so the nurseries turn them over much more quickly. I don't know if this is true but I have no reason to doubt it. Cunning eh!

As a tribute to the workers of HK so far all the sifu have been excellent. Only the rather shabby performance of NOW TV has let the side down. Despite having a name, rank and serial number they flatly denied knowledge of the order and appointment. Tusk, tusk.

The preparations continue and the birds bring relief.

Post script: Christmas Eve. I am a prophet. I did a late morning walk up the hill this morning whilst waiting for yet another delayed delivery and heard a hullabaloo in the canopy. Hmm, I thought. Sounds like small birds mobbing a bird of prey - and lo and behold, no wise men but a small owl sitting in the shade on a branch. I didn't get a good view as it flew as soon as it saw me but it was either a Collared scops owl or more likely from the shape of the head an Asian barred owlet. When we are settled I shall have to walk up at dusk and listen for the call.

Also 2 more Hwamei and 2 Bunting sp, possibly Tristram's. It was one of those days when you hear masses and see little. Old saying - you bird watch mainly with your ears!

And just to round the day off, a late afternoon (female) Blackbird in the garden across the path from the house.

1 comment:

Private Beach said...

The last time we called Now! TV for service, they tried to arrive several hours earlier than the scheduled time.