Sunday 12 October 2008

Waders of the lost ark?











Ok, so they are not all waders but yesterday was a gorgeous day at Mai Po. I rose at 5am and arrived on the reserve at 6am. By 6.30 I was already taking photos. The light came up very quickly from dark as I arrived to goodish by 6.15am. I was surprised that the tide had already covered the mudflats but the kingfishers gave me something to do. The Black-capped is a bit soft as it was taken at great distance with stacked convertors.

The common kingfisher was a lovely poser and gave me plenty of time but not much activity - nary a fish in sight. The Tringas were plentiful. I was especially pleased with the close up of the Wood sandpiper.

The star attraction was the Eastern marsh harrier that flew around several times and gave a few chances for closish shots but mostly longer distance.

After a frantic week on the markets this was a great relief to me and just reinforces the value of a really relaxing hobby. Vive les oiseaux!!

4 comments:

ulaca said...

The black-capped kingfisher looks like a court jester - Robin Williams as The Fisher King!

Unknown said...

Have you considered selling your piccies as prints?

Andrew said...

Not really, Fumie. I've never thought them good enough. They are for fun, nothing more. A way of filling the time between now and Armageddon.

Unknown said...

There used to be a shop in Central that did nothing but nnature prints. Yours are just as good as what they had.

brona - what you get if you go out in the sun.