Sunday 3 February 2008

Getting a buzz




Sitting in the chilly sunshine of a late Sunday afternoon I recognised a distant Common buzzard. They are easy to pick out from the kites even at a kilometre or so because they are slightly smaller, have rounded wings and they hover. Yup. It is not just Kestrels that hover, buzzards do it too.

I'd already seen a White-bellied sea-eagle this morning but it never came close. The buzzard started flying in circles, each one getting closer to me until at last I managed to fire off a few frames. And here they are. Better quality pics are available on the pbase site. I would like to have gone to mai Po today but Mrs. Ha and I went to the Flower Market instead. Not too busy on a Sunday morning, thank heavens and we came away with some nice pots of daffs to go with the blossom branches and hydrangeas we bought in Sai Kung yesterday.

For those who follow the trials of the dog, she is recovering from a tumble down stairs this afternoon but she seems to be making a full recovery. She currently has her very own fan heater as she can't cope with sub 10 C temperatures (and neither can I). After 3 of the last 4 weeks having been spent in Singapore I am shell-shocked when I go from 30+ to <10 at weekends. Shiver me timbers, Master Bates, as Capt. Pugwash once said. But then again he also had Roger the cabinboy and Seaman Stains in his crew. Hmmm. Children's entertainment? Crackerjack!!

6 comments:

ulaca said...

Seaman Stains - how could one forget?

And, you old reprobate, I'm still waiting for you to list the 7 things you approve of.

Andrew said...

Hugh, I have identified 7 things I approve of and I listed them on Fumier's website on the 19th January. They are / were :

Birds, Bonuses, Bach, Audrey Hepburn, Dante's Inferno, Wife's piano playing, cashmere sweaters.

Well there we are. A miracle. 7 things I do actually approve of, at least for 1 day. The Inferno is a damned good read, hellishly good in fact. Recommended.

ulaca said...

Oops! memory going. I wish I could read Italian properly - the Divine Comedy is that good in English.

Unknown said...

Good to see you yesterday, old chap.

Does anyone remember 5 O'Clock Club with Muriel Young, Jimmie Hanley, Fred Beak and Ollie Barker?

Andrew said...

Indeed it was good to see you too and I apologise for having been hidden away at a corner table. I was fraternising with enemy from The Phiz's institution. Fred Beak - gosh yes! BTW has anybody blogged on the subject of rugby recently? I think we should be told.

Unknown said...

Rugby? I don't think so. But a certain Dr. Williams might be coming in for some comment soon.