Sunday 15 July 2007

Sizzling



Oh come on, everybody has these on their roof. You must know what it is.

Alas, another week goes by and still no photography. My "tennis elbow" shows no signs of abating and I am getting mightily frustrated, just resting. The consolation is that Hong Kong is basking under a "hot weather warning" and the mercury is pushing 35 degrees celsius. That's the mid 90s Fahrenheit for those of us still working in black and white. You could fry an egg on the car bonnet. Sunny side very much up.

I have, it seems, been tagged by Fumie to document 8 personal facts. I shall only document one. I am old curmudgeon. That is my excuse for not bothering with another 7.

The garden moth trap is still running but I have switched from the large SUV type Robinson trap (think large washing up bowl with a lighthouse lamp on top, to the Heath trap (think square biscuit tin with small fluorescent tube on top). Oh blow it, I shall copy images from the web site of Anglian Lepidopterist Supplies. I'm sure Jon Clifton won't mind as he does sell me all my lepping gear :-)




The Biscuit Trap (I confess I have never caught a biscuit in it) has the advantage that it is small and quick to empty. It has of course the disadvantage that it is small and therefore is usually not going to pull in as many bugs. I get more micros with the small trap - the big bully boy moths avoid it. Not worth the effort. Micros are however often rather ritzy as I have shown before and sometimes tricky to ID. Some moths simply seem to prefer the hot mercury vapour lamp and others the cold actinic. In this heat I am perfectly content to sort through a couple of dozen little jobbies rather than (sometimes) hundreds of the things in the SUV. A man has a life - and a wife - to consider but it is a good excuse to stay indoors away from global warming.

And now, a plea for help. Deep heat has failed, physio has failed, my electric, buzzing, muscle zapping thingy has failed. What will cure damaged ligaments in the arm? And if anybody dares to say "rest" then I'll club them to death with a 500mm f4 image stabilized lens. If I can lift it. Oh, and wish me luck. I have to go through Heathrow this week. Once in, once out. Aargh. Toodle pip.

2 comments:

Tiny said...

Did you have to climb on the roof to take that picture? It's a great picture.

As for your damaged ligaments, it takes time to heal and you really need to be patient. I don't know if it's OK for you to have a massage therapy. The other thing I know it's good for muscles (and so not sure if it works for ligaments) is heat-cold treatment. You can put a heat pack on your arms for a few minutes. Then, you put your arm in very cold water for a few minutes.

Good luck!

dgny said...

Acupuncture? Yoga? You never like my answers...